Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, December 12, 2008

Got Milk?

I will first start you off with a picture of my freezer:



This was taken a week ago today so you can imagine how much more milk is there now! I don't have enough room for more and so that brings us to the main discussion of this blog - Eden's dr. appointment today at 17 days.

I wasn't worried what so ever about seeing Dr. Gulde today and felt really good about everything except for my pain from engorgement. You see, with me feeding Eden, giving her a bottle and THEN pumping, my body has been stimulated twice as much as needed and therefore producing twice as much milk needed. (If you don't know, breast milk is produced by demand.) I have SO much milk that even after feeding Eden, I will be able to pump 8-10 more ounces which is insane! Along with this comes a lot of pain...

All that being said, Eden weighed in at 6 lbs. 11 oz. today which is the exact same as a week ago today - a cause for concern to both me and Dr. Gulde. He thinks that because I am producing so much and she can't possibly empty me, she isn't getting the hind milk which is the fattest milk that comes in last. He told me to strictly breast feed so I'm re-programming my body to how much Eden needs and therefore she will get everything. He also told me to feed her every 3 hours no matter what which will be hard at night because this week she has been sleeping 4-5 hours at night before waking up. I had been told last week that I could wait for her to tell me when she was hungry.

I was pretty upset because I want to feel like I'm doing a good job with her and there's nothing more personal then how you're doing with breast feeding. I already feel like all I do is concentrate on feeding her and I also feel like a milk machine... All this is exhausting but I know well worth it. I know why woman stop breast feeding but I stuck it out with Claire and saw her benefit from it tremendously.

Please say a quick prayer for me - for persistence and patience in teaching and learning all over again...

4 comments:

Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

Hey girl. I had to delete my last post because I had a major misspelling that totally changed what I was trying to say. Anways...

Thanks for reminding me what I have to look forward to. I will be coming to you for breast feeding advice since it seems you are the GURU!! Don't be hard on yourself, you are a great mom!

Stay strong. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Claire. I do not comment much, but I am a faithful reader :o) All those milk containers reminded me of when I worked in the NICU and would thaw out milk for babies.....you are doing great job!!!! Tell Neil hello.....you guys have a beautiful family!!!

Tara said...

Kathryn, Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you through this. I can't remember if I ever told you, but your encouragement about nursing when you came to meet Archer really helped me stick with it--and we are just now weaning (hard to believe it's been almost a year)! Take care!