Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Before hospital discharge

I never wrote down what happened the Tuesday and Wednesday before we were able to bring Eden home! Here are details I want to remember:

12/2, Tuesday

a.m. - We got the news that she was going home Wed. as long as she passed all her tests and we completed CPR!

I got to the hospital for the 8 a.m. feeding so I could try breastfeeding. I had forgotten what a difference in bonding this makes!! It's amazing... She did ok but had to be given a bottle of breast milk afterwards. She's not used to working so hard for her meals so she will have to learn. Fortunately it all seemed to come back to me so I felt like I knew what I was doing

They took her feeding tube out of her nose and took away her minimum intake. Now she decides how much she wants!

She weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz.

Eden had her car seat test and passed with flying colors! This is when the babies are monitored in the car seat for an hour to make sure their heart rate and respiratory rate remains stable. They've never been in this position before.




She also passed her hearing test with flying colors!

Grandpa and Grandma held Eden for the first time




p.m. - Met with a lactation consultant and it went well. She gave me some tips and reminders which helped a lot. She also gave me a nipple shield so that it would be more like the bottle and Eden could keep the suction better. It works really well!

Neil and I had to go to an infant CPR class that was very helpful. We had to perform what we learned on dolls in front of the other 10 people in the class. We met a couple who had a 15 month old foster child at home and their daughter had been born at 24 weeks. She had been there for 4 months. Yeah, it really brings your situation into perspective - Anyway, it was supposed to be 3 hours long but we got out early. Neil and I decided we should take advantage of the little extra time and go on our last date. We hadn't been out since the Monday before Halloween so it was something we really needed. We went to Marble Slab and got our favorites even though we still were so congested we could barely taste anything! It was so worth it!





My mom stayed late to help get things ready for Eden's homecoming. She really likes to clean and has helped us a number of times with the house in the evenings. I went to bed at 11:45 p.m. and she was still going strong. She insisted on staying and showing herself out.... I still don't know what time she left. Thank you SO much Mom! You're awesome!

12/3, Tuesday

a.m. - Neil and I got to the hospital and they had moved her to Intermediate Care to transition her for discharge! Our nurse was really awesome and I wish we would've had her longer and in the other unit.

Bilirubin was 8 something but she looks more jaundice to me than any other day

Still weighing 6 lbs. 3 oz.

Claire got her Synargis shot upon my request. This is the vaccine that babies get to protect them during RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) season which is fall to spring. She was on the borderline because she was 35 weeks. All babies below 35 weeks are required to get it but after reading about it, I decided I wanted Eden to get it too. She will have to get a shot every month until the government says the season has ended. As soon as she got the shot, we were wheeled out of there and on our way home around 1:30 p.m.!














No comments: