Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, August 2, 2010

Letting go

I am nostalgic. I was the one who kept the dried flowers from prom, the notes from middle school, the report cards, the love letters... everything. I married a man who is also very nostalgic! This makes for a lot of "stuff" but we are getting better about letting go.

Today Claire announced "I want to give toys to kids who don't have any". So off she went to get an arm full of "stuff". In that load there were a few books, a couple of small toys and some stuffed animals - one of those being my old, ragged, once white cat that I got in 3rd grade. My nostalgic heart dropped. I asked her "Are you sure you want to give that away?" and yup - she was sure! I was convicted by my inner struggle of letting go of this cat! I need to follow my daughter's giving heart and encourage her initiative of giving up some of her toys. As she put everything in the bag, she kissed each item and said good bye. Really cute but it also showed me that she wasn't just giving up something she didn't care about. She really liked these toys but was still willing to give them away. After dumping the bag of toys in the drop box, I turned around and told Claire "I'm so proud of you" and she got the biggest grin I've seen in a long time. My heart just swelled.

I want to teach my kids that "things" and "stuff" are not what matter. I say it all the time but am I always living it? I have come a long way but I still need to be mindful of the example I am giving my kiddos when it comes to not holding so tightly to the things of this world.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

1 comment:

Sara said...

Great story! We have the opposite problem in our house. I'm happy to toss anything that's not nailed down, but Emily (and Philip) is a little packrat! She's a good example to me because she wants to reuse everything. Nothing gets tossed (in her sight) if there could possibly be a use for it.